Yield: 6 servings
Temperature: Medium-High, Medium, Low
Cooking Time: Approximately 1 ½ hours
- 1 cup raw rice, rinsed until water is clear
- 4 cups chicken broth
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- 4 tablespoons shortening
- 6 ounces Spanish-style tomato sauce
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- ¼ teaspoon garlic salt
- Combine 3 cups chicken broth with rice and bring to a boil using medium-high heat, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the broth is absorbed.
- Place the 2 tablespoons of shortening and rice in a large skillet, stir-fry rice at low heat until rice is browned, approximately 15 minutes.
- Place onion and remaining shortening in a medium-size saucepan, sauté onion at medium heat until transparent.
- Add tomato sauce, remaining 1 cup chicken broth, salt and garlic salt to onion and simmer mixture at low heat for 15-30 minutes, set aside.
- Combine sauce and rice and serve warm.