- 16 large, peeled, whole green chiles with stem
- 1 pound sharp, cheddar cheese grated
- 1 8oz. package cream cheese
- Batter for Stuffed, Green Chile (See below)
- Combine the grated cheddar cheese and cream cheese. Divide into 16 equal portions, and roll into logs. Slit chiles along the side insert prepared logs into chiles, firmly wrapping chile around the cheese log.
- At this point you can wrap the stuffed chiles in parchment paper, place in a gallon size freezer bag and freeze for later use. When using the freeze method there is no need to defrost the stuffed chiles prior to battering and frying.
- Prior to step #3, complete the directions below to make the batter. Dredge the stuffed chiles into flour, and then place batter in hot shortening and fry until golden brown. Drain on absorbent towels.
Ingredients for Batido para Chile Rellenos (Batter for Stuffed, Green Chiles)
- 1 cup flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 6 eggs separated
Directions for Batido para Chile Rellenos
- Combine flour and salt in a medium-size mixing bowl, transfer to a serving platter.
- Beat egg whites until stiff, fold in the reserved yolks and 1 tablespoon of flour.
- Continue to the last step in the Chile Rellenos recipe.